Monday, April 7, 2008

Moved

I am exhausted... absolutely done in...  and miserable too. Moved homes last week.  The house is a textbook case in mess. It is not the mess that is bothering me neither the effort and time taken in the process, but the fact that this is the fifth time in the past eight years we've pitched tent and I've had it...

Sifting through piles of belongings, rubbish and dust for three days and I finally threw up my arms in utter revolt.  Again my objection is just not to the physical move as it is to the impermanence of things ...  to owning and possessing .. 

( I am aware i might not be making sense here, simply rambling... that's the way it is.. I am too exhausted to  edit and  rewrite the post.)

A few days ago sitting from where, i took a break,  doodling on  the floor coated with paint dust from a freshly painted wall-  the  set of Burmese lacquer inherited from my grandmother did not feel as dear...The piles of textile collected over the year,s  an encumbrance more than treasure, Loved and prided scraps  of my child's art work, like accumulated junk-  it  occurred to me that something was very wrong with the whole project... carefully accumulated objects and `things'  that in the normal course of things ought to have been a source of joy, or a reflection  of `taste' and `expression' as a lot of  design and art literature peddles, is just that an idea... not an extension of self. 
The `self ' attaches  to a whole lot of things that are just as changeable and fickle as itself.  It comes nowhere close to what `I' the way as I know me and the way as I do not know me, stands for..

The moral of this convoluted rant isn't that it is somehow foolish to like things and accumulate, just  that  there isn't mush point in attaching too much value, deriving sense of identification from them.  A physical space can be adorned to reflect peace and stillness, but  there is not much to it if the mental sphere lacks quite...  

It maybe that in a day or two, when the dust settles down, the art work is no longer strewn on the floor, the books are back on the shelves and corrugated board is a thing of memory, I'll have time to ruminate over colour form shape and texture again,   trivia shall take over  time and senses, but right now I cannot seem to get beyond the dust, sweat and muck around me...

Untill I get to the stage where  i am thankful to the set of circumstances that has led me here, just like the deaths, heartbreaks and dust of the past.... Untill I can look back and be thankful for today's chaos that will set me forward  tomorow...signing off.


5 comments:

Solitaire said...

OMG!!! Came to your post through Anjuli's. I cannot stress this enough but I can TOTALLY identify with your post. I am in the EXACT same situation. I cannot believe that YOU wrote this post. It felt like I had! My apartment was flooded two weeks ago and I had to move rapidly with all my belongings. All that I can see around me when I go home is accumulated JUNK that I cannot seem to get rid off! The frustration is altogether another story!

Archana Srinivas Pottery said...

I can completely understand!!

All the very best with your move and I am sure the home, in due course will be in lovely shape with your artistic touch:-)

When you feel like taking a break do join me for a cup of chai;-)

Arch

Chandan said...

Hi Solitaire,
Thanks for dropping by..
Archana,
Thanks a lot for the reassuring comment... would love to join you for chai ;-)...

Lakshmi said...

Ive been through this phase and can understand...dont worry the dust will soon settle

pal said...

I completely understand. Loved the line the impermanence of things..felt as if my thoughts r being penned down. Sometimes I feel i shouldnt own anything but you got to have memories of each place!..I have moved homes and " countries" 5 times in 5 years! I have just moved to guangzhou, china last week from Jakarta. And doing the same things again...house search, try to settle in, get the packers. I feel as if though I enjoyed every country immensly i have never settled down. And never finished decorating the house!!!!:-))
But goodluck to you and ur house, photos and blog looks awesome. Great going!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin